Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Goals


I decided a while ago that I don't really want to make the things in this blog too timely.
I DO want to talk about what's on my mind at that moment but want to make it so that years from now (assuming this blog is still in existence) people can go back and read and be interested in what I've written.

There's a few people that don't agree with me but I have concluded that anything hockey related is timeless.

Whether it's talking about the greatest hockey player who has ever lived, Bobby Orr, or the greatest hockey players that I know personally.

Of course I'm referring to T and B, my hockey stars.
Last weekend they played in another tournament and once again they came charging out with another gold medal.
B got himself another hat-trick in a 5-1 victory in a game that counted more than I can tell you.
This was against a team that the kids play against in their regular league play and the victory was as sweet as it gets.

That team is the one that every other team wants to beat but doesn't always manage to do so.
The coach has no kids of her own on the team and has had a team every year that we have been in the league. That's a commendable thing.

However, she's not known as an overly pleasant person and has a "win at all costs" attitude.
She is known for "playing the bench".
I would guess that the top players on her team play an average of 2 times more than the others who are not quite as skilled.

We have watched as the hotshots go off the ice, sit at the front of the line of kids on the bench and go right back out again at the next shift change while the others who were already waiting continue to do so.

Our boys have never been on a team that this has happened. And they never will.

This is shameful on any team but beyond unacceptable in Recreation level play.
All coaches in the FYHA are required to adhere to the Coach Contract which details respect and fair play.
One of the points is -We will treat all players fairly and with respect and ensure all players receive equitable ice time throughout the season.
I don't believe for a moment that this is the way it's being done on that team.

I don't know how they get away with it but I'm sure someone must have spoken up about it before.
From what I have seen of her and if the stories that I have heard from kids that have been on her teams in the past are true there is no chance that she will ever have my sons playing for her.

That's all I will say about her since she isn't here to defend herself.
Plus this is a good news blog today so I won't waste any more time on that.

Oddly enough though, she wasn't at the game when we beat them. Ah well.


Ever since the boys first started playing 4 years ago I have been taking pictures and recording videos of the boys' games.
My intention has been to get almost all of their goals on video. I just thought that it would be cool to see how they develop and grow over time. Much like the videos that I post of them on YouTube playing drums and piano.

It sounds rather like the movie "The Truman Show" but I'm happy to know that there are friends out there who enjoy watching my little Trumans grow up.

In fact, we've made some pretty great friends from YouTube, Facebook and Twitter who we have not yet met in person but who are faithful followers and supporters.

One chap who I shall call Marcus is a fan and supporter of many people on the social media and is always there with an encouraging word to keep spirits up.

A couple of years ago I had posted a YouTube video of one of the guys playing music. They are listed under Drumming Wonderboy and Piano Wonderboy.

I have the comments section set up so that I must approve a comment before it will be posted and others will see it.

On this occasion some slimeball scumbag left a nasty remark that I won't bother repeating here.
I was quite upset about it and mentioned it to Marcus.
Marcus put it all into perspective with his supportive attitude and positive spirit and all was well again.


Anyhow, the sports videos haven't really been done to post on YouTube but more for us personally.
I just wish I had used a better system of saving them for easy reference.

Over the last few weeks I have been searching through disks, memory sticks and camera cards in an effort to gather every hockey video and photo together into one file folder.
I'm sad to say that I have not been able to catch every goal that the boys have ever scored on video.
In fact, I will always regret that I had to be at an NBSCETT Council meeting one Saturday morning 4 years ago and missed the first goal that T ever scored.
I do have B's first goal and most of the goals for both boys since then.

Following Saturday's games I downloaded the day's videos onto my computer.

I decided that I would try my hand at creating a compilation video of the goal and assist videos that I had for both guys using Microsoft Movie Maker on my computer.

I joined the videos together and added some cool music.
It's just over 10 minutes long and came out pretty well in my opinion.

When I watch it I can't believe how much these little dudes have changed and grown in such a short period of time.
I wanted to insert it into the blog here but it didn't work for me. I'll probably put it on YouTube and put a link on here in the next few days.

It's a work in progress. The season isn't over yet and we have another tournament in a couple of weeks.
I'm sure there will be plenty more goals to be added soon.

Stay well,
Tim

No comments: