Sunday, March 21, 2010

I swear I was out of town.

Isn't this a coincidence. 

You'll recall my very opinionated blog about Kingsclear Reformatory and what I think should be done with it?

It appears that someone else has the very same opinion and has actually taken it upon themselves to carry out the destruction of the place.

I just saw this on the CBC News web site.  


Kingsclear site again hit by fire

Last Updated: Sunday, March 21, 2010 | 6:28 PM AT 

The site of the former Kingsclear Training School just outside Fredericton was the scene of another fire Sunday afternoon.

Crews from four nearby fire departments quickly brought the blaze under control. Last November, a fire destroyed the nearby former Kingsclear Adult Reformatory.

Keswick Valley Fire Chief Michael McCullough said the latest fire started on the centre's second floor and had to be fought from above.

Firefighters on top of the building broke through the roof with axes so they could let the smoke out and gain access to the fire.

"So fire procedure, you get [the roof] open so you can get the smoke out, so you can find the fire and that's what they were doing," McCullough said.

"As fires go, this was a good one. Now I haven't been in so I don't know the extent of the damage, but it was easily brought under control so it hadn't got into the structure."

McCullough said the building was empty and there were no injuries.

The cause of the fire and the extent of the damage are not yet known.

Karl Toft, a former guard who worked at the facility from the mid-1960s until the 1980s, was sentenced in 1992 on 34 sex-related charges, and has since admitted to as many as 200 additional attacks.

In 1993, Justice Richard Miller presided over a lengthy inquiry into the management of the Kingsclear facility and Toft's abuse of young inmates.


I'm not saying I agree with arson by any means but...

Whatever it takes. 
I'm just saying.

In case anyone is wondering? I was out of town all weekend for a hockey tournament for my sons.  

Stay well,

Tim

1 comment:

Tim Scammell, PTech said...

There are buildings still standing including the old building at the front driveway. Most of the other buildings are gone though.