Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Could we please stop for a little while? Or just slow down?

I am the first to admit that I can be a little slow to pick up on things sometimes. This morning was another perfect example of this.

I was in the shower planning my day in my head when a sudden realization struck me. As I got out I said to Cheryl
"Did you realize that today is the last time we will ever see the boys in a Christmas show like this?"
She had already thought about this of course. (She's quite clever.)

I had not realised this until now. Suddenly I felt very sad. The next time I go to a show like this should be when I have grandchildren in it.



I can still picture that day just over 5 years ago in September 2003 when the boys were ready for their first day of Kindergarten at New Maryland Elementary School. I have a picture somewhere of them and their little backpacks with their snacks and supplies in them. They were so little and it really doesn't seem like that long ago to me.

Suddenly, they are 10 years old and in Grade 5! They will be gone from this school at the end of the school year! This is happening far too fast for me. I'm still digesting the fact that their shoes are as big as mine.

Why can't I slow this down? It's not fair. Our whole family has put so much into this school. I'm not ready to let go of it yet! When the boys started Kindergarten I joined the Home and School Association. I was President of that for 2 years. About 4 years ago I figured that I had too much free time on my hands (I'm joking, honest) and was elected onto the Parent School Support Committee.
I am still a member of both groups but I'm not as involved as before since getting onto Village Council and the boys being active in their music and sports.

It just feels so odd though that I have spent the last 5 years doing everything that I can to help make the school a better place, and they won't be there anymore. I feel good thinking that future students will be able to enjoy the fruits of our labours.

When I was president of the Home and School Association our huge accomplishment was getting the drainage problem and groundwork resolved in the Grades 1 and 2 playground. That was an enormous undertaking and a lot of money had to be raised.
In Ontario we were used to the fact that the school board took care of these things. In New Brunswick groups of parent volunteers raise money to look after the school grounds and equipment. That's hard to adjust to.

My legacy as Home and School President is the Grade 1 and 2 playground. It's not a swamp anymore.
I think I'll get a teeny tiny little plaque with my name on it. I'll go over one night and hide it in the gravel or on a tree.

Many years down the road maybe someone will realize how much the Scammells put into New Maryland Elementary School.
We will never forget how much we got out of it.

Tim

No comments: