Thursday, September 25, 2008

Before I forget....

I don't have much time to write a long one right now but I do want to share an email reply I had from the Green Party candidate Mary Lou Babineau to my letter the other day.

Here is my original letter:

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:29 PM, <friendsoftherailway2004@yahoo.ca> wrote:
Good afternoon Ms. Babineau. My name is Tim Scammell and I am past president of the Fredericton Friends of the Railway Inc.
Our group continues efforts to preserve and refurbish the York Street train station. I noted on the news this morning that if elected, Mr. Ashfield would aggressively pursue federal funding for the station. I was wondering what your position on this is? I look forward to your reply.

Take Care,
Tim Scammell, PTech

Here is her reply:

From: "Mary Lou Babineau" Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:43:13 -0300To: Subject: Re: Good afternoon
Hello Tim,

Thank you so much for your e-mail.

I have been following the news on the York Street trains station and, if elected, I would most certainly prioritize fighting for federal funding for its refurbishing.

There are specific clauses in the Green Party platform that support my commitment to the train station. The first is a strong commitment to the refurbishing and maintenance of our heritage sights (which our train station most certainly is), the second is a focus on re-establishing the railroad system in Canada as both an environmentally sound and efficient way of travel AND a pillar of our national identity, and the third are the extensive funds that we would make available for retrofitting old buildings.

Given these commitments, it is difficult for me to imagine a project more worthy of the focus of a Green Party MP than our train station...

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Mary Lou Babineau
Federal Green Party Candidate
Fredericton

I admire her letter very much however I am realistic that the Green Party will not get elected in Fredericton, or anywhere else for that matter.
Not yet, but I truly hope that one day society listens to what they are saying. It's an admirable message and they are openly looking out for our future as a species.
I have to get into that frame of mind for when I get around to forming the Sustainability Committee in New Maryland as Mayor Dunn has assigned me to do.

On the topic of the Green Party, please read this letter in Charles' blog that was sent to him. It's not the first time I have seen this sentiment but it's always good to see it in print.

http://charlesotherpersonality.blogspot.com/2008/09/fredericton-could-be-deciding-factor-if.html

I know Charles means well. He's a kind hearted person and one of a kind. (Too bad more people aren't reading this blog. Saying something like that could stir up some fire :) )

I have to go.
Zeeya

No comments: