Monday, September 29, 2008

Who was I kidding..

Do you remember what I was saying yesterday about being 18 years old again?

What on earth was I thinking?

Right now I couldn't even keep up with an 80 year old, never mind an 18 year old.

I have never experienced anything like that in my life. I guess I thought it would be like setting up my friends' bands in high school. It was a van or two or a cube van if we had a heavy night.

The Blue Man Group had 6 fully packed tractor trailers of equipment!

I could swear that almost every one of the hundreds of cases had items worth thousands of dollars in them.

Fortunately there was a small army of us streaming in and out like ants gathering food.

Unfortunately there was far more than enough "food" for each and every one of us to go for hours.

Once all of the gear was inside the process of assembling started.

Each part of the setup had its own crew chief who was completely specialized in what he/she did. These were the folks who travelled with the show.

I worked with the guy setting up the huge risers on the stage for the monstrous drum kits.

What was really neat was that I was also able to help with the actual setup of the drums.

The crew chief gave me a set of official Blue Man Group drumsticks for my drummer boy Braydon.

Braydon was ecstatic.

I found several used guitar picks for Tyler but that wasn't quite the same.

We ended up working for about 6 hours setting up and thankfully only 4 taking everything down.

I'm going to end this here so that I can go to bed.

My body is quite angry at me right now for being so foolish and trying to act like a kid.

I'm glad I had the experience but I will think carefully before trying it again too soon.

Geez, I don't like this aging thing.

No comments: