Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Old Gang

I had a surprise email yesterday from someone I had not heard from in a while.
It was my old associate from the province inviting me to a meeting to discuss the York Street Station.
I'll explain.
About a year ago, before I became an elected representative, I was still president of the Fredericton Friends of the Railway.
Somebody said something to the paper about the station which I didn't agree with. I mouthed off in a letter to the editor and got a few people upset with me. In addition I called a public meeting to discuss what could or could not be done about our rapidly deteriorating little building and by whom.
All levels of government were invited along with the owners, our members and the public.
I apologized to the folks I had ired with my letter.
The meeting was very well attended by all and everyone was cordial.
In the beginning I stressed to everyone that the purpose was not to point fingers or lay blame but to try and find a solution to our problem.
I felt awful when my dear friend Dick Rogers was starting to heat up while speaking and I had to stop him.
Dick has been with us from the start. He has supported me at times when I was ready to throw in the towel. I have always had great respect for him since the first time we met more than five years ago.
In fact, Dick was a Councillor here in New Maryland many years before I entered the picture. He continues to be very active in the community to this day.
No group could ask for a more caring and supportive member and if anyone deserved to blow his top it was him.
The next time I saw Dick I apologized (I do a lot of that, don't I?) for shutting him down.
As expected, Dick didn't want any apology from me. That's why he is my friend. He is a true gentleman and I've always been honoured to know him.
Mayor Woodside proposed the formation of a committee made up of representatives of the City, J.D. Irving, Friends of the Railway (me) and federal and provincial representatives.
We did meet a few times but I don't need to tell you that a solution was not reached.
That was back in spring 2008 and I never did hear from anyone in the committee again.
Until yesterday that is. It appears that someone has decided to get our old group back together.
That should be interesting.
I'm not going to speculate on the outcome of the meeting but it will be good to have both Steve and I there.

No comments: