Thursday, October 2, 2008

If you are in the area and looking for something to do...

I received the message below from artist friend Bruce Newman this morning.
Bruce and I first met on Remembrance Day several years ago.
My family was returning from the parade in Fredericton and were driving past the York Street Station. We spotted Bruce standing there with his easel in the empty lot beside the station.
We got out and chatted with him for a while. The wind was icy cold and blasting in our faces.
Bruce was in the process of doing a painting of the station in its sad state.
The resulting painting was entitled "Heritage Lost" and is one of my favourite paintings ever.


My wife bought me a signed print of "Heritage Lost" as a gift which hangs directly over my desk in the basement.
Recently Bruce completed another painting of the station from the east facing west to the building.
This one is named, again very appropriately, "End of the Line". You can see it on his web site.
These are not "feel good" paintings by any means. They do not illustrate the York Street Station in its former glory as do other paintings that I have seen.
Bruce's paintings show the harsh reality of a once vital part of the city's past that has been neglected and ignored for too long.
Bruce's web site is http://www.brucenewman.com/. You can see an excellent profile of Bruce at http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bruce-newman.html .
If you are in town I highly recommend that you attend this exhibition.
I will be out of the province this weekend but if you get there please say hello to Bruce for me.

"Just a short note for anyone in the Fredericton area to invite you to the opening reception of the annual Fall Exhibition of The Fredericton Society of Artists on Friday evening, October 3, from 6:00 to 9:00 PM at 151, a new gallery located at 151 Aberdeen Street in Fredericton.
The Fredericton Society of Artists was founded in 1949 and typically has two major shows a year, one in the spring and the other each fall. I have been a member of FSA since 2000 and I have five works entered in this year's show.
In the event that you are not able to make it on Friday, this exhibition will run until Thursday, October 30. Gallery hours are:

Monday: Closed
Tuesday: 12:00 - 5:00 PM
Wednesday: 12:00 - 5:00 PM
Thursday: 12:00 - 7:00 PM
Friday: 12:00 - 7:00 PM
Saturday: 12:00 - 7:00 PM
Sunday: 12:00 - 5:00 PM

I hope you can stop in for an evening of art on Friday! On-street parking is somewhat limited but the Exhibition Grounds are only half a block away."

No comments: