Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Website of Note as Remembrance Day Approaches


Several years ago my best friend Mike pointed me to watch a video on Atomfilms called "Letter from the Western Front".
This animated short was done in 1999 by a young man based in New York City named Daniel M. Kanemoto.
I can't begin to describe how touching this film was.
It follows a young soldier named John as he writes a letter to his love back in Milwaukee.
I have taken this plot summary from The Internet Movie Database - www.imdb.com.
(I would bookmark that if I were you. It has everything about every movie or show ever made.)
"In Belleau Wood, France, during the Great War, a soldier named John writes a letter home to his wife Sara in Milwaukee. He writes that her picture "helps me remember what it was like to be me." He tells her about sorties into No Man's Land, and that they have orders tonight to charge. Then, his letter becomes a report of that charge: toward an armed German soldier who doesn't fire, even when John reaches him and jumps into the trench beside him. What happens next brings silence and an end to the letter.
I won't bother ruining it for you but to say that what happens brings silence is an understatement. In reality it brings tears.
After I watched it on Atomfilms I sent the link to my family and friends.
My sister had recently been to France and the beaches of Normandy. She told me that it was tremendously emotional, especially at the monument.
When Hayley watched the film in struck a nerve.
I have not been to Normandy and it made me cry. I can only imagine how Hayley felt.
The bad news. I have spent ages looking for this video online again. For some reason it is gone from Atomfilms and nowhere else seems to have it.
The good news. During my hunt I discovered Daniel M. Kanemoto's myspace page at http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=43004224.
I was glad to see that Daniel has a new film entitled "Articles of War" out.
I watched the trailers at www.articles-of-war.com and this looks like another highly emotional film.
This lad is very very talented. It appears that he is on his way to the big time.
His blog discusses him sending copies of the new DVD to film festivals everywhere.
This may explain the disappearance of the film from Atomfilms.
It is likely that we need to pay to see Mr. Kanemoto's work.
In my opinion that is just fine. His work is worth any price.
Have a look.

Tim

No comments: